Connecting The Dots aims to share common experiences among members of the African diaspora across Canada.
Our mission is to educate citizens interested in learning more about the African diaspora in Canada while equipping Canadians to learn about and apply best practices in combating Anti-Black racism.
Ultimately the success of this initiative will be measured by the successful delivery of the summit, the application of toolkits in new regions, and a strengthened network between organizations and leaders seeking to support and understand the African diaspora in Canada.
What We Are Doing
BHO is a registered Canadian charity with a mandate to advance education by increasing the public's knowledge and appreciation of, and carrying out research in the history, culture, traditions and achievements of Canadians of African descent.
- Promote and support research; in particular primary research, in African history at all academic levels.
- Establish an authoritative source of information on Black history and correct historical distortions of African peoples' contributions to the world.
- Devote special effort toward encouraging our youth to value their legacy and to aspire to be leaders, pioneers and innovators.
- Establish relationships with community organizations, businesses and public institutions to develop and present to the wider community of the National Capital Region, African-centred programs and cultural products.
- Carry out programming year-round with a concentration on activities in February for the commemoration of Black History Month.
- Work towards self-sufficiency of Black History Ottawa by developing Black History products and services.
- Promote African unity to transcend existing divisions.